Glass in the interior can play different roles:
- Act as a decor.
- Serve as a material for household products.
- Be a constructive element of a room.
At the same time, it always gives the atmosphere lightness and airiness, adds interesting touches to the design. Let’s figure out what glass is and where it is used in the house.
TYPES OF GLASS USED IN THE INTERIOR
– Simple colorless. This is the cheapest option.
– Colored. It can be colored or coated with a dichroic film. In the second case, glass gives the interior special decorative effects: it shimmers in different shades depending on the lighting and viewing angle and casts a multi-colored glare on the surrounding objects.
– Tinted. Transmits much less light than transparent, thereby adding to the atmosphere of coziness and intimacy.
– Tempered – it differs in increased strength and resistance to temperature extremes.
– Triplex – it consists of two layers of tempered glass with a polymer interlayer. Incredibly durable, shock-resistant, withstands heavy objects and does not scratch.
VARIANTS OF USING GLASS IN THE INTERIOR
Using this material in the house, you can create effects that will delight the hosts and delight guests. We offer you six of the most exciting trends.
Small colored pieces are used to decorate various objects: windows, doors, countertops, lamps, vases, picture frames. Stained glass casts colorful highlights in all directions, adding a touch of magic to the setting. To create stained glass, several techniques are used today: typesetting (each fragment in its frame), painted (the drawing is made with special paints), fusing (all parts are sintered together at a high temperature).
An excellent option for decorating the interior of a house with glass is a suspended ceiling made of this material. Its varieties:
– matte – gently diffuses light;
– mirror – fills the room with bright highlights;
Photo printing creates a particular illusion (of the sky, a blooming garden, etc.).
Glass ceilings are usually fitted with spotlights hidden behind panels, so there are no harsh shadows in the room in the evenings.
The glass floor is a unique design element. It can be installed in different rooms: living room, dining room, bathroom. They take a triplex for him because you can safely walk on it and arrange furniture.
The entire floor or only part of it, for example, along the perimeter, is laid out with transparent slabs. Sometimes they are designed in the form of a strip – for zoning the space. Sometimes a recess is made under the glass panels, in which certain fillers are placed – water, sand, stones, plants. And almost always, such a coating is equipped with backlighting to create a unique atmosphere.
Glass in the wall in the form of a light block, stained glass, or internal window – this interior trend has been popular for many years. However, now at the height of fashion, the complete replacement of partitions between rooms. They are made of glass panels of various types: colorless transparent, tinted, covered with a dichroic film. In any case, such designs improve the natural illumination of the house, add lightness to the atmosphere, and fill the space with the air.
FURNITURE THAT DOES NOT CLUTTER UP THE SPACE
Glass furniture is widely used in interior design. For them, take the same material options as for the partitions. Therefore, such racks and showcases, coffee tables and cabinets, shelves and stands for flowers can be selected for almost any style:
– colorless transparent will fit perfectly into hi-tech, techno, minimalism;
– tinted ones are suitable for baroque, rococo, antique, and classical trends;
– colored ones will be appropriate in pop art, shabby chic, boho, art deco.
A SPECIAL APRON FOR THE KITCHEN
Tempered glass has become popular in the interior of the kitchen in recent years. A wall panel is made from it above the working surface of the kitchen unit – the so-called skinny. It looks aesthetically pleasing because it has a flat smooth surface and no seams. It is easy to clean and difficult to damage.
For such an apron, both matte and transparent materials are taken. You can apply a picture to it by photo printing or adding wallpaper with an attractive print in the second option.